As part of your course, you will be required to complete 120 hours of practical placement to satisfy your course requirements ( Diploma Community services is only 100 hours). This placement has to complete prior to your certificate being issued (assuming you have been marked as competent in all units).
The easiest way to attain the practical component of your course is to volunteer with a relevant organisation in the field you are studying. E.g. Certificate III in Individual support (Aging) would be to seek placement in an Aged Care facility.
Not only will you gain valuable skills and knowledge through work placement, but you will develop instrumental relationships, networks and experiences to support your continuing career aspirations. MyPath Education encourages you to go out and speak with local organisations about volunteer opportunities.
MyPath Education has various relationships with a number of facilities and organisations across Queensland for possible student placement. MyPath organise work placement for students who enrol in face to face classes as part of the course however self-paced (online/workbook) students are required to approach facilities on your own behalf.
Finding Work Placement
There are hundreds of websites that you can access to look for practical placement. You will need to use the search bar and/or site navigation to look up volunteer opportunities relevant to your course.
We have listed some websites that are useful:
- Seek Volunteer – volunteer.com.au
- Volunteering QLD – volunteeringqld.org.au
- Volunteering – qld.gov.au/community/community-organisations-volunteering/volunteering
- Go Volunteer – govolunteer.com.au
Applying for placement or work
Once you have identified an opportunity, research more about the role or organisation by looking at the organisation’s website.
The following will assist you in making the first steps less intimidating:
- Research the organisation and the role you are interested in.
- Write down any questions you may have.
- Call to the organisation to see if they can assist with your questions and find out more
- Ask them about the application process if it is not outlined on the job advertisement.
- Complete the required documentation which may include:
- Police Check
- Updated Resume or CV
- Tailored Cover letter answering any questions outlined in the job ad.
- Submit your application
- If you haven’t heard back within a week, follow up with a phone call
- Contact MyPath Education once you are placed or if you require any further assistance in securing placement by filling out the online workbook placement form.
What do I do if I can’t find placement after following all these steps?
If you are finding you haven’t been successful in securing placement and require some support, please contact MyPath Educations Vocational Placement Coordinator who will be able to provide further advice on 07 3489 7777. We encourage all students to independently develop their skills to prepare for practical placement opportunities