Gain Your Qualification in Individual Support (Disability) (CHC33015)
Disability Care is a rich and rewarding career choice, chosen by many because of the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of others. The CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support (specialising in Disability) offered by MyPath Education provides comprehensive and quality training, so that you can take the lead to help enrich the lives of those with disabilities and their supporters. In this training course, you will learn to:
- provide individual support in a professional manner,
- communicate positively and effectively with health professionals
- work independently in health and community services,
- work with diverse cultures, people and health issues
- recognise healthy body systems, and identify potential health issues.
Government funding is available for this certificate – eligible candidates can study from as little as $95.
Studying Disability Care
This qualification in disability care reflects the role of disability support professionals in the community and/or residential setting who follow an individualised plan to offer individualised support to those in a permanently disabled capacity. Work involves using discretion and judgement in relation to individual support as well as taking responsibility for decisions and management.
What you will learn in the Certificate 3 in Individual Support (Disability)
Students need to learn a collection of factual, technical and procedural knowledge, as well as some theoretical knowledge of the concepts and practices required to provide person-centred support.
The Certificate III in Individual Support is a broad qualification, and is offered with three specialities: Aged Care, Disability Care, and In-Home Care. To complete the course with a specialty in Disability Care, students will complete a total of 13 units: seven core units, four specialist units in Disability Care and Management, and two additional elective units.
CHC33015 Core units:
- CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
- CHCCCS023 Support independence and well-being
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
CHC33015 Disability Specialisation Units
- CHCDIS001 Contribute to ongoing skills development using a strengths based approach
- CHCDIS002 Follow established person centred behaviour supports
- CHCDIS003 Support community participation and social inclusion
- CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
Other Elective Units (choose any two)
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCPAL001 Deliver care services using a palliative approach
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
To achieve this qualification, the candidate must have completed a Police check, as well as at least 120 hours of work placement (see Assessment Requirements).
Job Opportunities - Individual Support Certificate 3 (Disability Care)
Career outcomes/ job titles may include the following across the Community Services & Health and Community industries.
- Lifestyle Support Worker
- Direct Care Worker
- Accommodation Support Worker (Disability)
- Respite Care Worker
The role of these workers, in a range of community settings and clients’ homes, involves promoting a person-centred approach while providing training and support in a manner that empowers people with disabilities to achieve greater levels of independence, self-reliance, community participation and wellbeing.
With further study into a certificate IV or higher; you could progress to become a:
- Team Leader
- Disability Officer – Day Support
- Disability Support Worker
- Disability Services Manager
- Service Coordinator – Disability
Learning with MyPath
MyPath Education is a nationally recognised and accredited training provider, who provide quality education services. When you train for your Certificate 3 in Individual Support (Disability Care), you can expect
- Professionally presented reference materials to assist students in developing their knowledge of the units.
- Expert trainers with industry experience who are passionate about disability support
- Training delivered over 14 weeks: 2 days a week for core units & electives units online or self-paced
- Face to face group study including theory, simulated & practical assessment.
- Online learning and self-paced study with workbooks for theory, simulated and practical assessment
- 120 hours of work placement under supervision
- Industry experienced and culturally diverse trainer
- Access to trainer via email, phone and in person.
- More career opportunities and up-skilling and productivity gains
2017 Individual Support courses
If you are looking for a fresh start & a new career in Ageing, Disability, Home & Community care in 2017, MyPaths Individual Support classes are the course for you. We are in the process of scheduling out our 2017 classroom courses.
Suburbs on our list are as follows:
- Fortitude Valley 2nd August 2017
- Southport 30th August 2017
- Redcliffe 28th August 2017
- Logan ( Cert 4) 6th September
- Ipswich TBA
- Townsville TBA
- Cairns TBA
Alternatively, as mentioned above, if in class doesn’t suit your learning style we also offer the Certificate III in Individual support online, so you can sign up and start studying at your own pace. If you need assistance, you can schedule a time with the trainer so they can assist you and answer any questions you may have.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Do you have a past education in this field (or a related field), previous industry training, or life experience in disability care? You may be able to fast track you’re learning with Recognition of Prior Learning exemptions. Take a look at our page on Recognition of Prior Learning for more details.
Government funding for the Certificate 3 in Individual Support may be available depending on your circumstances. Funding support and employer incentives might also be available under the Australian Apprenticeships Incentive Program.
Individuals completing their first post-school Certificate III qualification in Queensland could be eligible for the Certificate 3 Guarantee subsidy. Funding is available for this certificate with prices starting from as little as $95 if you are eligible. For more information about funding support, call us today.